Business, Real Estate and Employment Litigation
My law firm focuses on business, real estate, employment, international and general civil litigation. I also handle business and corporate matters, such as contract review and preparation, setting up new businesses, counseling on on-going business relationships, and regulatory compliance.
- Business Disputes. Business disputes take an almost infinite variety of forms. I have devoted much of my over 20 years of law practice to mastering this complex body of law. I am equally adept at prosecuting claims as at defending them. Business litigation includes disputes with business partners, competitors, vendors and suppliers, and former executives and employees. Types of claims include breach of contract, fraud, misrepresentation, non-compete agreement litigation, civil theft, tortious interference, and unfair and deceptive trade practices.
- Real Estate litigation. Real estate litigation often overlaps with business litigation, and includes such things as sale contract disputes, building defect claims, lien litigation, disputes over sales commissions, property title defects, disputes between property co-owners, easement and land use disputes and many other issues.
- Representing Employees in Employment Claims. One of my main areas of practice is employment law, mostly representing employees. I aggressively represent individuals who have been harassed, wrongfully discharged or not properly paid for their work. I handle employment claims on a contingency basis, meaning that you only pay me attorney fees if the end result is favorable. I have a particular interest in retaliation law, and a large proportion of my employment law cases are in this area.
- Representing Employers in Employment Claims. Because of pro-employee attorney-fee laws, defending employment claims requires, in addition to thorough and aggressive representation, great care and judgment in choosing which battles to fight. The only sure winner in conducting a scorched-earth defense of an employment claim is the employer’s lawyer. I pride myself on keeping the client’s fundamental, long-term interests foremost when defending employment claims. In particular, I believe I have developed a unique strategy for defending overtime and minimum wages claims. As many employers are all to well aware, these suits are rife and can be very vexing. Give me a call and I will explain my approach to this difficult area of law.
- Whistleblower Representation. Federal and state law allow persons who blow the whistle on corporate wrongdoing to collect a portion of fines and damages recovered for the government. If you think your employer is breaking the law or committing fraud, contact me before you do anything else. The laws governing whistleblowers are extremely complex, and it is very easy destroy a valid claim by doing the wrong thing.
- Wide geographical reach. Although most of my cases are in the Tampa Bay area (Pinellas, Hillsborough, Pasco and Manatee counties), I regularly handle cases in state and federal courts in central and southwest Florida, including Polk, Orange, Osceola, Sarasota, Lee, Charlotte and Collier counties. Depending on the circumstances, I also welcome statewide, national and international cases.
- Dedication to local and legal communities. As a native of St. Petersburg, Florida, I am committed to my local community and to the legal profession in the area.